Thursday, January 21, 2016
Business leaders offer guidelines for sustaining economic momentum...
" With the right leadership, Sacramento can be California's top destination for job creation"
That subtitle tells the true goal of the white paper presented at yesterday's DSP's Board meeting: "A Statement of Principles and Priorities to Grow Sacramento's Economy"
Drafted by a broad cross section of area business leaders, it is meant as a blueprint to guide the city's future political leaders: the mayor, council members, their staff and other regional governmental leaders.
It's intended to Champion Sacramento's Economic Prosperity with a Proposed Economic Vitality Strategy. The premise is that while there are encouraging signs of recovery from the Great Recession, some experts expect another downturn. And Sacramento needs to prepare itself by fostering the right conditions for businesses to succeed, thereby growing and diversifying our local economy.
Five key components of the position paper:
A Prioritized Approach to become a top job creation location
- Foster a business climate so businesses will want to locate here
Stabilize the City's fiscal health
- Encourage city to take an analytical approach to revenue and expense decisions
Improve Infrastructure and Transportation systems
- Modernize aging city center utility networks; pursue systemic improvements to RT
Develop Quality Venues to attract ;visitors and locals
- Prioritize Destination Development; become a Top 25 Convention City
Cultivate and Retain a top STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics) workforce
- The next initiative: Sactown as a technology hub
Read more...comments from others... and 3 Questions...
Image by Dennis McCoy, SBJ